Technical Support - Detail
Freedom Scientific is making available an expanded Eloq.sbl file, which includes entries for most Unicode characters to be spoken by Eloquence in American English. You may wish to install this file if you make frequent use of Unicode symbols. However, please be aware that this file is still a work in progress. In particular, we recommend that you do not use it on computers with less than 512 MB of memory.
To make use of the expanded character file, do the following:
1. Download Eloq.zip from ftp://ftp.freedomscientific.com/users/hj/private/WebFiles/Tools/eloq.zip
2. Extract the contents to a convenient folder. The extracted file is named Eloq.sbl.
3. Open the Start menu and choose Programs, JAWS, Explore JAWS, Explore Shared Files.
4. In the Shared Files folder, select the file Eloq.sbl, press F2, and rename it to "EloqSbl.bak" for back-up purposes.
5. Copy the newly extracted Eloq.sbl to your Shared Files folder.
Note: To avoid a reduction in system performance, do not copy this file to your personal user settings.
6. Quit and restart JAWS, and make sure you are using Eloquence (American English).
The new settings should now take effect.
To make sure the new SBL file is in use, start Microsoft Word, open the Insert Menu, and choose Symbol. Move through the Insert Symbol dialog box, and you should hear JAWS describe the symbols as you select them.
Note that this file is for JAWS Unicode versions, and is not intended for use with JAWS on a Windows 98 or Me platform.
Version: 6.x plus