- Online Learning
- JAWS Certification
- JAWS Training
- MAGic Training
- OpenBook Training
- PAC Mate Training
- Training Downloads Page
- Workshops and Upcoming Events
- WYNN Training
- Accessibility Web Page
- Surf's Up (Surfing the Internet) Training
New Training Webinars Posted for 2013
New free and paid Webinars have been posted online. Also be sure to check out our hands-on workshops in Saint Petersburg, Florida.
- Webinar Training Room Orientation, June 5
- New Webinars for the third quarter will be posted here in the next few days
Visit the free Webinar e-Learning page for more information or to register.
Paid Webinars through the fourth quarter include the following:
- Word 2013 with JAWS and MAGic, May 16, 21, & 23, $29
- Excel 2013 with JAWS and MAGic, June 6, 11, & 13, $29
- PowerPoint 2013 with JAWS and MAGic, July 18, 23, & 25, $29
- Outlook 2013 with JAWS and MAGic, August 15, 20, & 22, $29
Visit the paid Webinars page for more information or to register.
Web Design and Using JAWS on the Internet
Bring greater accessibility to your Web site. Learn more about how JAWS works on the Web. Visit the updated Surf's Up Web site for examples of how to write effective HTML code and use JAWS and MAGic on the Web. Find more information on our Accessibility Tips and Web Design page, with links to free HTML tutorials, validation tools, guidelines, and other resources.
JAWS 14 Basic Training
The Basic Training for JAWS 14 is the same as that for JAWS 13. The Basic Training is available in both text and audio DAISY format as well as individual MP3 modules.
Use Check for Updates to Download Training Materials
The JAWS Basic Training is also available now on the Training Downloads page. JAWS 13 and 14 users can also use the JAWS Check for Updates feature to find it. Here's how to use the Check for Updates feature:
- Go to the JAWS Help menu and press P to choose Check for Updates. A dialog box appears that contains a list of check boxes for all updates that are available, including any DAISY training materials.
- Press UP or DOWN ARROW to move through the list.
- Press SPACEBAR to check any items you want to download and install.
- Then press ENTER to activate the Install button. The download begins and when finished, a new dialog box appears that asks if you want to install the files, with a Yes and No button.
- Choose Yes. After the installation is complete, the final dialog box appears that tells you that the updates were successfully installed.
- Choose the OK button, and the dialog box closes. Now you can use FSReader DAISY player to read the newly installed book. In FSReader, just choose CTRL+O to reopen the File Open dialog box and choose the new book.
NOTE: All of the books for the JAWS Basic Training were updated for JAWS 13 except for book 4. It will not appear in the check for updates dialog box in JAWS 13.
Power to Work - Power to Learn - Power to Grow
Virtual Ribbon Menus Feature
The ribbon is a new style of menu available in many new applications being released today. Ribbons first appeared in Office 2007 programs, but are now becoming more common in other applications tailored for the Windows® 7 operating system. Ribbons create an accessibility challenge due to inconsistent navigation between various groups and items. For example, the lower ribbon contains groups of icons, sometimes arranged in several rows. When you press the ARROW keys to move between items in a group, you can skip items if there is a row above or below the one you are on. When pressing the ARROW keys or TAB, no indication is given when focus leaves one group and enters another. You cannot use first letter navigation in the ribbons, because pressing keys might activate ribbon key tips. Finally, because of a group's layout, you do not know if you should navigate up, down, left, or right to select an item.
The new virtual ribbon menus feature in JAWS provides predictable navigation, lets you see everything in the ribbon, and offers consistency when navigating with the ARROW keys. For example, each group on the lower ribbon is treated as a submenu. Once you open the group submenu, you can press DOWN ARROW to move through all of the items within that group. When you reach the bottom of the items in that group, focus wraps back to the top item, and vice versa. You can also use first letter navigation in the virtual ribbon menus.
This book is recorded using Windows 7 and WordPad, but you can also follow along if you have Office 2007 or 2010 in either Windows Vista or XP.
Topics covered in this book include:
- Differences between using the JAWS virtual ribbon menus feature as opposed to the Microsoft ribbon
- Enabling or disabling the virtual ribbon menus feature
- Practice exercises
- First letter navigation in the virtual ribbon
- Using the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT) with the virtual ribbon menus
JAWS Tandem DAISY Book
Have you ever installed a software program that you wanted to show to a friend, but your friend lives across town, or maybe even in another state or country? Have you ever tried to help someone who just doesn't understand computers to accomplish a task on a computer while talking to them on the telephone? Perhaps you are interested in doing training for people but you cannot physically get to their home or office, for whatever reason. Maybe you're a consultant and one of your client's teenagers installed a new software game, which in turn caused a cascade of bad things to happen to the programs you had installed for the client originally. Do you want to do it now, without the hassle and expense of travel? Well if so, JAWS Tandem™ is for you!
JAWS Tandem is a feature that lets you access another computer running JAWS, so that you can provide hands-on technical support, write scripts from a distance, or perform remote JAWS training. It is used by support personnel, distributors, dealers, consultants, trainers, and friends. Any two people who have JAWS can connect their computers together over the Internet and accomplish any or all of the above.
Use the JAWS Check for Updates, located in the JAWS Help menu, to find this book. You can also visit the Training Downloads page to get either the Tandem DAISY book or the Tandem MP3 file.
With TypeAbility priced at $100 per copy and J-Tools priced at £45 (approximately $85 USD), this adds great value to the hands-on instruction and dynamic training one receives by coming to a training workshop in Florida.
Visit the workshop schedule page for dates and more information.
Training Department Information
The Freedom Scientific Training Department's motto is, “Power to work, power to learn, power to grow.” We have grown over the years and have created some wonderful training materials that we want to share with you. Please take advantage of all of the training information and materials we have posted here on our site. We hope you will come back often to see what is new.
The Freedom Scientific Training Department
Contact us at 800-444-4443 or 727-803-8000
Extension 1016 or 4001
Microsoft®, Excel®, PowerPoint®, Outlook®, and Windows Vista® are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.
JAWS®, MAGic®, OpenBook™, PAC Mate Omni™, and ONYX™ are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Freedom Scientific, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries.