Network Authorization Quick Start Guide
Freedom Scientific software products require the proper authorization to run. Client computers that use the software will connect to a license server which authorizes the software. This guide describes the steps required to:
- Install the Network Authorization tools and software
- Install the License Server
- Obtain a license code and activate your software
- Install and authorize the product on client systems
- Remove Network Authorization from the server
Installing Network Authorization
The process described below allows you to install the license server, which authorizes client systems to use your Freedom Scientific product. This installation also creates a program folder in your Start menu that provides access to Network Authorization documentation and tools.
- To begin the installation, insert your multi-user Authorization CD or Network License Server Utilities CD into your computer's CD-ROM drive. Choose Install to continue.
Note: If the installation does not begin automatically, press WINDOWS Key+R, type "D:\Setup.exe" and press ENTER. If your CD-ROM drive is not D:, then substitute the correct letter.
- If the license server is not installed on this computer, the InstallShield Wizard for SentinelLM Server starts. Choose Next to begin installing the license server.
Note: You can only install the license server on a computer that runs Microsoft Windows. Other operating systems such as Novell, UNIX, Linux, and so on are not supported.
- If you need to install the license server, read the license agreement. If you accept the terms and conditions in the agreement, choose Yes.
- By default, the license server is installed in C:\Program Files\Rainbow Technologies\SentinelLM 188.8.131.52 Server. If you want to install the license server in a different folder, choose Browse and select a new folder. Choose Next to continue with the installation.
- When the installation is complete, choose Finish. The Network Authorization tools and license server are now installed.
The installation creates a new folder in your Start menu called Freedom Scientific. Each shortcut in this folder is briefly described below:
- Quick Start Guide - View The quick start guide for Freedom Scientific Network Authorization.
- System Administrator's Guide - View additional information on license management, installation, optional features, administrator commands, user options, and environment variables.
- Server Administration - Launch the WlmAdmin utility that allows you to monitor the license server and perform some administrative actions. For more information, refer to the System Administrator's Guide. For details on using JAWS with this program, see Managing Your Licenses.
- Service Loader - Add or remove the license server as a service called "SentinelLM" in your Windows System Service registry. On Windows systems, the license server must be running as a service in order to authorize client systems.
- Uninstall Network Setup - Uninstall Network Authorization documentation and tools and (optionally) the license server.
- Update Product Name Authorization - Begin the activation process for your Freedom Scientific product. Product Name is the name of the program you want to activate, such as "JAWS" or "MAGic."
Product Activation on the Internet
After you have installed the Network Authorization tools and license server, you must then activate your Freedom Scientific product license. To do this, you must request an Activation License code from Freedom Scientific. You can use the Internet to receive your Activation License code quickly and easily.
Perform the following to activate your Freedom Scientific product:
- From the Start menu, choose Freedom Scientific, Network, Update Product Name Authorization (Product Name is the name of the program you want to activate).
- Choose the Activate button to begin the activation.
- Select the Now, using the Internet (RECOMMENDED) radio button to specify that you want to use the Internet to acquire your Activation License code. Choose Next to continue.
- Your 20-digit Authorization number is automatically inserted into the Authorization Number edit box. If your Authorization number is not shown, type it into the edit box. Choose Next to continue.
- If you have not registered your software, you are asked to do so now. Registering lets you receive technical support. Choose Register Now and complete the online registration form by following the instructions provided. You can choose to register later, but you must register the next time you activate the software on any computer.
- After you submit your registration, Internet License Manager attempts to activate the software. This process may take several minutes. When the activation is successful, choose Finish.
Note: If Internet License Manager cannot activate the software, you may need to reconfigure your firewall. For more information, see Activating through a Firewall.
- If the WlmAdmin utility is running, quit the program. Then, restart the utility by opening the Start menu and choosing Programs, Freedom Scientific, Network, Server Administration. You can use this utility to monitor where the license(s) reside and which users are using tokens.
You can now install the Freedom Scientific product on the client systems. Refer to Setting Up Client Computers for more information.
If your firewall software prevents you from activating JAWS using the Internet, reconfigure the firewall to allow the following files to run: FSActivate.exe, CAUtil.exe, and CAUtil.enu. If you installed JAWS in the default location, all these files are located in the C:\Program Files\Freedom Scientific folder. Once you have reconfigured your firewall, retry the activation process. The following is a complete list of all files that need to be allowed by the firewall when using JAWS.
|File Name||Connection Type||Incoming Port||Outgoing Port|
(Only required if using redundant license servers)
If you cannot reconfigure the firewall, or if you still cannot activate the software, go to www.FSActivate.com. Follow the instructions on the web page to retrieve an Activation License code.
To use FSActivate.com, you will need your Authorization number and the license server's Locking code. If you have installed the program you want to activate on the license server, you can find the Locking code in the program's About box.
If you have not installed the program on the license server, do the following to find the Locking code:
- From the Start menu, choose Freedom Scientific, Network, Update Product Name Authorization.
- Choose Start Activation.
- If you are asked to insert your Authorization CD, specify that you want to enter the Authorization number manually.
- Choose Activate.
- Select the Telephone to Receive Activation by Mail radio button and press ENTER.
- The server's Locking code is shown on the page that displays.
- After you copy the Locking code, choose Quit.
Using Activation Media Image Creator
You can use Activation Media Image Creator as an alternative method for activating your software. This is a free program from Freedom Scientific that will allow a user with an Internet connection to retrieve Activation License codes from Internet License Manager. The user can then distribute these Activation License codes on CD, 3.5-inch disk, or email.
To download the installation package for the Activation Media Image Creator, visit www.FSActivate.com. After you install the program, follow the instructions in the Activation Media Image Creator online help to retrieve and distribute Activation License codes from Internet License Manager.
Now that the license server is installed and running, you must install your Freedom Scientific product on the client computers. You do not need to perform additional authorization procedures for these computers. Each time the software is started on the client, it will automatically search for the license server and obtain an authorization token.
The number of tokens available depends on the number of users permitted by your license. For example, if you purchased a license for five users, your license server will have five tokens available. Each time a user starts the software, the license server assigns the client computer a token. Once all tokens are assigned, no additional clients can receive authorization.
If you need your license to support additional users, contact your local distributor or Freedom Scientific to purchase additional seats.
Tip: If you know the name or IP address of the computer that will run the SentinelLM license server, it is recommended that you add the environment variable LSFORCEHOST to the client computers and set it to this name or address. When the Freedom Scientific program starts, it will only search for a product license on the specified computer. If you have distributed the license over more than one license server and you want the program to search for the first available token, do not add this environment variable. For more information, refer to the System Administrator's Guide.
You can use WlmAdmin to administer your Freedom Scientific product licenses and manage your license server. To start WlmAdmin, open the Start menu and choose Freedom Scientific, Network, Server Administration. For details on using WlmAdmin, refer to the System Administrator's Guide. A shortcut to this PDF guide is located in the Network subfolder. If you are using JAWS with WlmAdmin, you can use the following commands to work with the program.
Move to the Server Tree View
Press INSERT+SHIFT+T from any location in the WlmAdmin window to move to the tree view that lists server computers.
Viewing Server Information
Most of the server information is shown on a single pane within the WlmAdmin application. You can press F6 from the server tree view to the Server Information area. Since you can only navigate this area with the JAWS or invisible cursors, JAWS displays the information in the Virtual Viewer. You can press F6 again to close the Virtual Viewer and move back to the server tree view.
Reading Static Client Information
When you move to the Client Info tab and select an item in the list view, WlmAdmin displays additional client information. You can read this information by pressing INSERT+SHIFT+C. The information JAWS reads includes user name, licenses in use, held license, and start time.
Reading Static License Information
When you move to the License Info tab and select an item in the list view, WlmAdmin displays additional license information. You can read this information by pressing INSERT+SHIFT+L. The information JAWS reads includes license type, allow commuter license, start date, and end date.
Removing Network Authorization
To delete licenses from the license server, do the following:
- Start Notepad.
- From the File menu, choose Open.
- Navigate to the folder where you installed the license server. The default folder is C:\Program Files\Rainbow Technologies\SentinelLM 184.108.40.206 Server.
- Open the ENU (English) folder. If you are using a different language version of the license server, open the appropriate folder instead.
- Select the file named Lservrc and press ENTER.
- Select a license that you want to remove and press DELETE. Continue this process until you have deleted all the licenses you want to remove. A product license consists of a long string of alphanumeric characters. Items and/or strings of text that appear after a pound (#) sign are comments that can be left in the file or deleted as well. After you delete a license, client computers can no longer use it to obtain authorization.
- After you delete the licenses, you must restart the license server program. Press WINDOWS Key+R and choose Browse. Navigate to the folder where you installed the SentinelLM license server, select "Lsrvdown.exe" and press ENTER. Type a space after the path, followed by the host name of the server you want to restart, and choose OK.
- Press WINDOWS Key+R and choose Browse. Navigate to the folder where you installed the SentinelLM license server. Select "Lsrvnt.exe", and then press ENTER. Type a space after the path, followed by "-X start." Choose OK to start the license server.
Note: You must be logged in as a Network Administrator to stop or start the license server.
Removing Authorization Numbers from the Registry
Deleting licenses does not remove your Authorization number from the server's registry. To remove this number, do the following:
- Press WINDOWS Key+R.
- Type "C:\Program Files\Freedom Scientific\Activator\1.1\FsLicenseClean.exe". Be sure to type the quotation marks. If your Freedom Scientific Software Activation files are stored on a drive other than C, substitute the correct drive letter.
- Type a blank space and then do one of the following:
- Type JAWS 1 to remove your JAWS Authorization numbers from the registry.
- Type MAGic 1 to remove your MAGic Authorization numbers from the registry.
- Type JAWS 1 to remove your JAWS Authorization numbers from the registry.
- Press ENTER.
Uninstalling the License Server and Network Tools
To uninstall the license server and/or Network Authorization tools, do the following:
- Shut down the license server program. To do this, press WINDOWS Key+R and choose Browse. Navigate to the folder where you installed the SentinelLM license server, select "Lsrvdown.exe" and press ENTER. Type a space after the path, followed by the host name of the server you want to shut down, and press ENTER.
Note: You must be logged in as a Network Administrator to shut down the license server.
- From the Start menu, choose Freedom Scientific, Network, Uninstall Network Setup.
- Choose OK to remove the Network Authorization tools and documentation.
- You are asked if you want to uninstall the license server. Do not choose Yes if you have other programs that use this license server to obtain authorization.